AIFM Risk Management & Valuation Conducting Officer
An alternative investment fund manager intends to recruit a person to be appointed as conducting officer in charge of risk management & valuation.
It is intended by the AIFM to manage in future also Alternative Investment Funds investing in debt, real estate, infrastructure and/or crypto currencies.
This role will report to the Chief Executive Officer and the board of managers of the AIFM.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Risk Policies, Valuation Framework & Governance:
- Follow up on establishment, implementation and execution of the risk strategy and relevant governance measures, as defined by the management committee and board of managers of the AIFM.
- Implement & periodically review the AIFM's and the AIF's risk and liquidity management policy and procedure, and implementing such procedures, processes, techniques and measurements and the valuation framework.
- Engage with and advise the AIFM management committee, board of managers, external and internal auditors, the CSSF and others with regard to the AIFM and AIFs risk management
- Ensure that delegated functions are appropriately governed from a risk standpoint (e.g., portfolio, fund administration & marketing etc.).
Risk Monitoring & Reporting:
- Ensure the internal/external production of risk reporting including risk measurements and benchmark against risk limits.
- Monitor/ ensure that assets of the AIF remain in the thresholds from the constitutive documents & applicable legal provisions.
- Contribute the risk-related components of the annual reporting required by the CSSF and coordinate, as needed, with third-parties for its production.
- Coordinate with the production of relevant financial and other metrics, both qualitative and quantitative, required for the production of risk reporting at the level of the AIFM.
Risk Due Diligence:
- Design, initiate and perform due diligence on the portfolio managers and other services providers to the alternative investment funds and the AIFM (the "Service Providers")
- Ensure conditions required at the time of its appointment are met by the Service Providers
- Identify all risk factors relevant to a specific AIF, its measurement metrics and specific limits and the data collection process and compilation
Risk Oversight of Portfolio Management
- Ensure that portfolio company level risks from the standpoint of the AIFM and of the AIF are effectively managed
- Ensure that the investment process undertaken by the delegate follows the relevant investment parameters, as defined in the portfolio management agreement between the AIFM and the portfolio manager
- Interface with the group relevant risk and investment bodies to monitor compliance with portfolio management delegation
- Coordinate & participate in the oversight of portfolio company-related operational, regulatory and other risks regarding the AIF
- Analyse existing/ new AIF products from a risk management point of view and suggest risk management techniques
- Define, review and update detailed risk profiles and risk appetite for the AIFs, and the AIFM
- Co-create and co-design financial models for the calculation of net present values for alternative investments with an initial focus on the asset classes of Alternative Funds managed by the AIFM from time to time;
- Co-ordinate the Valuation Committee of the AIFM;
- Review, validate and challenge external appraisals on all components (cash flow forecasts, construction of the discount factor, other crucial factors and model assumptions);
- Liaise with portfolio managers & valuation providers;
- Work on the analysis of the assets (like common drivers and how a change in the discount rate affects a risk category), and the drivers behind movements and how these impacts the risk management.
Who you are:
- Good analytical, organizational, writing & communication skills
- Goal oriented, hands-on mentality
- Managing internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated project management skills and accountability for delivery
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team and know when to escalate matters with Board and local Management
- Highly goal oriented, and solutions focused
Experience & Qualifications:
- 8 to 10 years of relevant experience in risk management-related roles within an AIFM.
- Master's degree/PhD in Economics, Finance, Mathematics or Business Administration and Management, with high mathematical content
- A solid understanding of financial instruments, quantitative finance, risk management methods (e.g., Value-at-Risk), as well as risks linked to complex financial products
- Good knowledge of the regulatory framework and risk management framework (UCITS, AIFMD, CESR/ESMA guidelines)
- Proficiency in written and spoken English, as well as French and/or German. Luxemburgish will be considered as an advantage